Tonight I didn’t have any genius plan for making dinner. I had not been to the grocery store in a week but I did have a few random things left in the refrigerator and pantry. I made it work and it was delicious but it wasn’t a piece of art by any stretch.
I pumped up a simple Annie’s White Cheddar Shells with some fresh veggies and feta cheese crumbles.
I first followed the mac’n’cheese box instructions. I then cut up some kale, red bell pepper and red onion.
I flash cooked the kale in a little water until the leaves turn bright green, not brown.
I then sauteed the red bell peppers, red onion and a clove of garlic.
Once the veggies were tender, I removed the veggies and deglazed the pan with a little white wine. I then combined the veggies, deglazed liquid and cheese packet mixture in the original pot the macaroni was cooked in.
I added the macaroni and some feta cheese. I added salt and pepper to taste. Viola! Dinner on the fly.
It isn’t the most gourmet thing I’ve ever made/eaten but I made something beautiful out of something from a box. For a Sunday evening, this was a pretty darn good effort. Bon appetit!
box of white cheddar macaroni of choice (I used Annie’s gluten free)
2-3 Tbsp milk
3 Tbsp butter
1 cup of chopped kale
1/4 red bell pepper
2 Tbsp chopped red onion (or yellow onion)
1 clove of garlic minced
1/3 cup feta cheese
1/4-1/3 cup of white wine (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
- Follow the directions on the macaroni box–boil the water, cook the shells, drain. In the original pot combine a couple tablespoons of milk, cheese packet from the box and tablespoon of butter.
- Meanwhile heat a skillet to medium high heat. Add chopped kale and a couple tablespoons of water. Flash cook the kale until the leaves turn bright green (about 1 1/2 minute and no longer otherwise they will brown). Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and place in a bowl to sit.
- Heat the saute pan to medium heat. Add a little butter, the red bell pepper and onion. Saute for a minute. Add the garlic and saute for another few minutes. When softened remove veggies.
- Place the pan back on the heat and degalze with white wine.
- In the original pot the macaroni was cooked in add the veggies, deglazing liquid, cheese packet, milk and butter. Mix then add the drained and cooked macaroni and cumbled feta cheese.
- Reheat and serve. Serves 3 medium bowls or 2 large bowls.