Hello friends! Let’s get corny this week, shall we?
Local farmers are practically giving away their last ears of sweet corn. As a starving student, I take advantage of any and all food deals that come my way so obviously I bought TONS of corn. I do not know how I will consume all of this corn by myself, but that’s a problem for another day.
While I’m still enthusiastic about corn, let me share an easy and delicious corn salad with you.
One of my favorite things to do with corn is cut it off the cob and use it in my salads. Today I’ll share with you my raw corn salad. When sweet corn is in season, there is no need to cook it. Of course this will only be the case a few weeks longer (at the most) but feel free to make this corn salad with either frozen corn kernels or canned corn (drained and rinsed) during the winter months.
Just like any other recipe I provide, feel free to improvise–cut out the ingredients you don’t like and add the ingredients you can’t get enough of. One afternoon I decided to add hard-boiled eggs atop this raw corn salad. There is not wrong way to make this, trust me. Enjoy and happy week before daylight savings!
5 ears of sweet corn, cut off the cob
1 bell pepper, diced (color of choice)
1 15oz can of bean of choice (black beans, black-eyed peas, kidney beans, butter beans, garbanzo beans, etc.)
1/2 quart cherry tomatoes, halved
3 Tbsp red onion, finely chopped
2-3 Tbsp roasted red pepper, diced (optional)
1 small spicy pepper of choice, minced (optional)
1-2 avocados, cubed (optional)
4-5 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp mustard, I like spicy brown (optional)
2-3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/4-1/2 tsp garlic powder
salt and black pepper to taste
Directions (serves 4):
- (OPTIONAL) Dice red onion and place in a small bowl with red wine vinegar. Let sit for 10 minutes. This will mellow the raw bite of the red onion flavor.
- Meanwhile, cut the corn kernels off the cob and place in a large bowl.
- Drain and rinse can of beans, add to corn.
- Add all other salad ingredients to large bowl.
- Add marinated red onion, vinegar, oil and spices to salad.
- Cover and place in refrigerator for a minimum of 30 minutes. The longer the salad can marinate, the more melded the flavors with get.
- Mix throughly before serving. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Will last one week in the fridge.